Thursday 28 March 2013

My Ketosis Experiment

Since everyone is relating their experiences, I thought I'd relate mine.

3 years ago when I was 60 years old I finally managed to get on track by getting into ketosis.

Duration: 6 months
Starting weight: 247
Ending weight: 195
Food eaten: coffee, heavy cream, water, pork, beef, chicken, liver (beef and chicken), eggs, fish, seafood, butter, coconut oil, lard, salt, pepper, onion powder (yes, no fruit or vegetables of any kind). Variety doesn't really matter when you don't feel hunger except when you are truly hungry.
Supplements: fish oil and D3 due to living up north where the sun has trouble appearing and when it does it's so weak it has no impact even if you could walk around in shirt sleeves, which you can't 6 months of the year.
Frequency of meals: coffee with cream in morning, dinner at around 6 pm. No snacking.
Excerise: Just walking although I did make excuses to walk more by taking another bus to work that would allow me to walk at least 1 km each way during spring, summer and fall.
What did I count? Nothing. Jumping on the scales every morning is all I did. No strips, monitors, macronutrient component percentages. Zip, nada, nil.
How I felt: I felt better than I did in my early 20's. I had energy to spare. If I had lost some more weight I could have probably done cartwheels. I was happy all the time, my arthritis disappeared with my migraines and depression. AND the biggest thing was no hunger.
Cholesterol tested at around 6 months in: My overall cholesterol was 182, HDL 65, Trigs 104. Ratio around 2.8. We are talking absolutely fantastic for a post-menopausal 60 year old woman who was still overweight at 195 lbs.
What brought me down? Chili powder. We need to keep things simple and I started my first experiment to my utter downfall.

Keeping it simple so that you don't worry and stress out about all those things is the secret. So now I'm starting all over again but at least I know what the key to my success was.

4 comments:

  1. Great job! I'm eating fruit (some) and veggies, but certainly no grains and 98% sugar free. All organic. Have been for about a month now. (very very low carb before that.) Have my annual physical end of April; eager to see how my blood work results change! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy whatever I can organic but organic meat is very hard to come by here. I did find a local farm that runs a butcher shop here that is not certified organic but I've known the owner for some time and she assures me that the animals are treated well and are pastured whenever possible. There is no pasture here from about November to April due to the severe winters so no grass feeding is possible year-round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds like a good source of meat to me! if they feed silage or hay in the winter, it's pretty much the same as grass-feeding, too....

      Delete
    2. Yes Tess, as 100% grass fed is impossible in our arctic, heavy snowfall winters (and part of spring and part of fall).

      Delete