Saturday 30 May 2015

My new retired life

My move went pretty smoothy. I'm now living on a beach on Vancouver Island and I'm not even rich. The fresh breeze coming off the water is amazing and my breathing is already improving.

I've started a walking regimen and a tan. Haven't had a tan in about 35 years and I'm not lying on a beach to get one. Walking and looking after my flowers or sitting outside reading is doing it.

I created a little patio with two patio chairs, table and patio mat where it's shady and perfect when it gets too hot outside. My apartment is tiny but extremely bright.

Yesterday I sat on a bench looking out over the beach and smelled the wild roses next to me and burst into tears, I was so happy. On my morning walk today I picked a few wild strawberries along the highway.

I'm back on track after being on the road for 4 days transporting my cats with my sister's help but she needs to eat too often, so now that she's heading for home I'm back to eating once a day.

The food here is so fresh I'd almost forgotten how that tasted. Rebuilding my health in retirement is the plan.

9 comments:

  1. ОМG, Vancouver and a Vancouver Island - the most beautiful part of Earth I ever saw. No wonder you burst into tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galina, I am halfway up the east side of Vancouver Island and it is indeed beautiful here.

      Delete
    2. A logical choice, a West shore is too rainy. British Columbia is a breathtaking place. We used to live in Vancouver for a while.

      Delete
  2. Hi Horf ... and so good to read this post.

    So pleased everything went well and you certainly sound so happy in your new home.

    Every good wish and look forward to hearing more as you continue to settle in.

    Those wild strawberries sound delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thanks for your kind wishes. Those wild strawberries are very sour lol. Of course, I had to try some.

      Delete
  3. "Yesterday I sat on a bench looking out over the beach and smelled the wild roses next to me and burst into tears, I was so happy."

    Well done Horf you have found the Holy Grail all people search for, and so many never find. Happiness cannot be forced, but you have to work for it, which you have done. Money cannot buy happiness. A modest warm safe place to live, some good food and work and hobbies to occupy the mind and body, that's all we need.

    Stay happy Horf kind regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place! If I were there, I'd practically live at Butchart Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds absolutely gorgeous! :-D ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... time passes and it is soon the end of August. I'm just stopping by hoping all is well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete